Friday, October 14, 2016

Hanann's Prewriting

Share it Please


My Analyzing and Annotating
I enjoyed learning new rhetorical words to describe the craft of writing. Looking back through my notes I saw I learned the words paronomasia, apostrophe, elenchus, sprezzatura, and macrologia. Being able to label rhetorical devices opened my eyes to how many Shakespeare actually uses. Every page has a hidden treasure. The picture I posted shows how I chose to highlight multiple acts. The colors show three themes Shakespeare weaves together in every scene: pink for mercy, goodness, redemption, blue for evil, callousness, heartlessness, and orange for fate, nature, nihilism, powerlessness, determinism.

Peer and Source Influences
Slack was great. Posts would pop up while I was reading and I would feel like I was part of a book club, discussing the text. Other students’ insights helped me think of new themes, for instance, I would never have considered Gloucester as a Christlike figure without the articles on symbolism and the cross.

My Working Claims
[policy claim] Although King Lear’s ravings could seem like nonsense, his actions should be seen as a representation of the natural man before Christ since Gloucester represents a Christ figure.

[definition claim] Though the word cause appears only a few times during the play, it is a major theme of King Lear since having and not having a cause leads to the pivotal acts of each character.  

[comparison claim] While Gloucester can be seen as simply a tragic character, he can also be compared to Christ due to his selfless sacrifice for King Lear.

[evaluation claim] Although honesty is regarded as a necessity in moral society, King Lear suggests that lying is necessary to prevent tragedy.


[causal claim] Although the play can seem pitifully tragic by the end, the suffering leads to the reader’s ability to see good in dark circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll

About