Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Abby's Annotated Bibliography (1)

Share it Please

My paper is going to look at naming and labeling in Shakepeare’s Romeo and Juliet, and Julius Caesar. I’m going to analyze how naming/labeling affects perception, incites emotion, and in turn motivates violent behavior. My working title is currently: “What’s really in a Name?” and my working these is developing into something such as, “Although not everyone who engages in slurring naming and labeling has violent intentions, naming and labeling contribute to the larger cultural issues of discrimination and violence because they incite extreme emotions. This relationship is evidenced through the deaths of Tybalt and Mercutio in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, as well as Caesar’s murder and subsequent rebellion of the city in Shakepeare’s Julius Caesar.”

Social Sources:
Peer. Stephanie Funk. I posted a question concerning my developing paper on Facebook and she sent me a personal message in response. Stephanie has been married to my cousin for about 4 years, and we are not particularly close because they live in Arizona and are a few years older than me. She graduated from ASU with an English degree 2 years ago, so she is fairly educated in Shakespeare, the effects of rhetoric, and critical theory. She is also a politically active democrat and willing to discuss the effects of language by the candidates in this past election.
Homie. Leif Nielson. Husband. I bounce around pretty much all of my major project ideas with my husband. He is a math major, Portuguese minor at BYU, and I am an English education major, digital humanities minor at BYU. He provides different perspectives that I wouldn’t normally consider or agree with, and is willing to question my ideas in order to promote critical development.
Expert. Dr. Roni Jo Draper. Professor of Education at BYU. Dr. Draper taught my multicultural education for secondary education class last semester, and I work as her TA for that class this semester. She is very approachable, and I was able to bring up the topic of my paper in one of our discussions about working with the class. She is particularly passionate about multicultural issues, and the subject of how language relates to violence is connected to what we talk about with the class.

Media/Informal Online Sources:
Bradner, Eric. “Trump to supporter’s harassing minorities: ‘Stop it’” CNN, Nov. 2016, <www.cnn.com/2016/11/13/politics/donald-trump-60-minutes-first-interview/index.html>. Accessed 14 Nov. 2016. This article showed president-elect, Donald Trump’s reaction to post-election violence. This source is relevant to my developing claim as it shows that Trump may not personally promote violent behavior, but he has no intentions of adopting different rhetoric or tone.
Roueche, Michael J. “Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar: Or is it the Tragedy of Brutus?” Sept. 2013, <www.michaeljroueche.com/2013/09/shakespeares-julius-caesar/>. Accessed 15 Nov. 2016. This post is from a historical fiction author’s blog, and he gave a brief review of the play. This source is relevant to my paper because I plan to incorporate the idea that Shakespeare named the play after Julius Caesar when it was really about Brutus. He also brought up the themes of envy, flattery, manipulation, integrity, and honor, and I can work those in as factors that contribute to perception.

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Have you considered expanding it beyond Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar? I think labeling is often very important in Shakespeare, like in The Merchant of Venice with Shylock's label as a Jew or even Hamlet and his family being compelled to act certain ways because of their labels as royals. This might make it too long or convoluted, but it might be fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that this isn't your papers direction, but it would be very interesting to tie in the current political rhetoric and naming and how that affects things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wanted to end up on that topic as my final destination. I don't want to get too far into it, but I do think that it shows a linear connection between Shakespeare's use of naming and the political rhetoric of naming.

      Delete
  3. I think "What's Really in a Name?" is a clever play on that well known quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The source by Bradner looks great. I love how you're making this paper super relevant by bringing in the recent election. That's really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you reached out to Stephanie! I hope that goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About