Monday, November 14, 2016

Sam's Annotated Bibliography #1

Share it Please
My paper is going to be focused on how people, especially millennials, can come to understand and appreciate Shakespeare through the use of Pinterest. A title that I'm working with (again, working title here) would be "Pinning the Bar". I thought that was clever, but hey, it's up for debate. I've been focusing my research on how millennials learn, what it is that attracts their attention and how Shakespeare's works can be manipulated to fit these learning styles through Pinterest. My thesis is, again, a working thesis, but the idea goes something like this:
"While Shakespeare's works are often viewed as boring and inapplicable to millennials, Pinterest can work as both a catalyst and enhancement for an appreciation and understanding of the Bard's works to this generation, specifically with two of his most prolific tragedies, Hamlet and Macbeth".


Works Cited

Berne, Kevin. Macbeth Production Still. 2010. Cal Shakes: California Shakespeare Theater, San Francisco. California Shakespeare Theater. Web. 14 Nov. 2016.

This is a photograph of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, holding each other's bloody faces and staring deeply into each other's eyes. They are absolutely covered in blood and look determinedly in love. 

This source is relevant to my paper because it serves the purpose of attracting interest in the play. This isn't a typical image- it's attention-grabbing- and I found it on Pinterest under the simple search term "Macbeth". 

Course Hero. Hamlet Infographic. Digital image. Course Hero. Pinterest, 2016. Web. 14 Nov. 2016.

This is an infographic describing the plot, action, characters, and simple analysis of Shakespeare's play "Hamlet". 

This source is relevant because it is completely different from the other image I have cited, yet it was found on Pinterest and can aide, in different ways, in the understanding of "Hamlet", especially for those that have never read it before. 

Homie.
Jacob Jackson.
I was able to approach this person through Facebook. We were friends in high school (he dated/married one of my best friends) and he responded to my inquiry about three different images from Macbeth.
I was able to talk to Jacob about Macbeth because he simply responded to my Facebook post. He willingly offered his opinion about how the three images I posted would be useful to him in understanding Macbeth and which would entice him most to read the play, which he had never read before.

Homie.
Brandon Shamsabadi.
Much like Jacob, I was able to approach Brandon through Facebook.
I was able to talk to Brandon about Macbeth simply because he responded to my survey. The brief conversation I had with him was insightful because he was a self-described person who "never wants to read Shakespeare", and yet the images were so intriguing that he took the time to respond. I found this interesting on a research level.





2 comments:

  1. There is no debating it, the title is *Italian kiss* I think that your research topic is really interesting! Are there articles that describe how millennials learn differently from other generations? I have heard this before, but it would be interesting to research that and see how Shakespeare is transformed through that! I already really like the images you used, as they immediately capture my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about Pinterest, but this sounds really interesting. Have you found any enthusiasts or experts? I've haven't had a lot of luck with that yet...

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About