Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Sarah's Performance Review

Share it Please
I thoroughly enjoyed this production of Hamlet, I would see it again in a heartbeat.

Things I enjoyed:

  • The music they played in between scenes- It intensified the effects of the ending scene, and built anticipation for the next. 
  • The soliloquies- instead of having the actor be the only one on screen they just darkened everyone else, and slowed down time.  This had the excellent effect of really seeing into the characters mind. 
  • Benedict Cumberbatch as Hamlet- who doesn't love Benedict Cumberbatch? He did a fantastic job. 
  • The slowing down of time when Hamlet kills Laertes- this served to intensify and sadden the moment.
  • The special effects- in particular the effect just before the intermission when what looks like black ash blows into the court. It was a deeply affecting symbol of the "something rotten in the state of Denmark." The camera shots also helped a lot with this because they blocked out anything that wasn't included in the special effect, making it the sole focus of attention. 
Things I enjoyed less:

  • The costuming- for the most part it was well done, but there were times that the costumes were confusing and distracted me from what was actually happening onstage.    
  • Ophelia- as mentioned by other classmates Ophelia's descent into madness could have been better portrayed.     

2 comments:

  1. I also loved the music. It was one of my favorite things about the play - it just portrayed things so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said you enjoyed. Personally, I really enjoyed the way they portrayed Ophelia's madness. It seemed more real to me than a lot of the other ways I've seen it performed.

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About