Monday, November 28, 2016

Sam's Annotated Bibliography (2)

Share it Please
I will continue with my annotated bibliography with my scholarly sources and two performances that I watched of Hamlet and Macbeth.  I've been working on revising my thesis, as well, but I've been struggling a bit with where exactly I want this paper to go. I have a lot of ideas, but I'm not sure if I want to focus solely on "millennials" or if I want to expand by not focusing on a specific age group but rather a specific social group as it relates to Shakespeare, for example, students studying Shakespeare, students who don't study Shakespeare, and just average people that may or may not have had interaction with the Bard themselves. I want to expand more on what Pinterest can do to help with not only enthusiasm and basic understanding of Shakespeare, but also on a interpretive, literary level (kind of what we've done in this class).  If anybody has any suggestions, I would really appreciate that. I'm having a hard time nailing down the exact thesis statement, but I'm meeting with Dr. Burton after class tomorrow to see what we can do to figure it out.

I've been requesting books from the library and finding articles online, and I think I will have a lot of materials to work with.

Works Cited
Scholarly Sources: 

Bentley, Gerald Eades. Shakespeare & Johnson: Their Reputations in the Seventeenth Century Compared. Vol. 1. Chicago: U of Chicago, 1945. Print.
This is a book about the reputation of Shakespeare in the 17th century, immediately after his death. I would use this in order to talk about how our view of Shakespeare has changed throughout history. 
Brantlinger, Patrick. Who Killed Shakespeare?: What's Happened to English since the Radical Sixties. New York: Routledge, 2001. Print.
This book is about the fact that people have decreased their studies of the humanities, especially in English and Shakespearian studies, since the 60s. I will use this similarly to the previous source, showing the changes that we have experienced in our understanding of Shakespeare. 
Hansen, Kirsten, Gillian Nowlan, and Christina Winter. "Pinterest as a Tool: Applications in Academic Libraries and Higher Education." The Canadian Journal of Library and Information Practice and Research 7.2 (2012): 1-9. Harold B Lee Library. Web. 28 Nov. 2016.
This is an article about ways that Pinterest can be used in promoting higher education. I will use this article to build my argument that Pinterest is relevant in Shakespearian studies. 
Sashittal, Hemant C., and Avan R. Jassawalla. "Why Do College Students Use Pinterest? A Model and Implications for Scholars and Marketers." Journal of Interactive Advertising 15.1 (2015): 54-64. Harold B Lee Library. Web. 28 Nov. 2016.
This is an article about college students and what attracts them to Pinterest. I would use this article to narrow my analysis to college students, specifically. 

Performances:

Hamlet: The Royal Shakespeare Company Production Starring David Tennant. Dir. Gregory Donan. Perf. David Tennant and Patrick Stewart. The Royal Shakespearian Company, 2009. Youtube.
This was an incredible performance of Hamlet done by the Royal Shakespeare Company in 2009.  I think I could use this source to highlight how we can fit Shakespeare into our modern world. 
The Tempest. Dir. Julie Taymor. Perf. Helen Mirren and Russell Brandt. Touchstone, 2010. Youtube.
This was a movie released in 2010. I would use this for similar purposes as my other performance source, showing how we can twist Shakespeare's plots and language to fit different visions of what he meant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll

About