Friday, November 18, 2016

Kevin's Annotated Bibliography (2)

Share it Please
Performances:

1.) Royal Shakespeare Company. "First Encounter: King Lear | RSC Education | Royal Shakespeare Company." YouTube. YouTube, 2013. Web. 18 Nov. 2016.

This modern interpretation of King Lear is super interesting because it makes it a Christmas story (the Fool is a reindeer!). 

Surprisingly, I really thought this performance can add to my paper--because they made it a Christmas story, it was really easy to connect it with Job, who fully believes in Christ

2.) Wichita Community Theatre. "Wichita Community Theatre Presents King Lear." YouTube. YouTube, 06 May 2012. Web. 18 Nov. 2016.

Yeah... this performance was pretty amateur to say the least.

But King Lear's performance was so pitiful that it reminded me of Job. I think I can make it work. 

Social Sources: 

Homie: 

  • Shawn and Jennifer Dorman
  • These two wonderful people are my parents. I hadn't really ever talked to them about my writing assignments before, so it was kind of fun. 
  • My dad was an English major way back in the day, and he is currently a religious educator at BYU-I, so he turned out to be a really good source. My mom is an avid reader, but doesn't have too much experience with Shakespeare; however, because she is such a dang good mom, she got online and did a little research so she could have something to contribute.
My parents focused a lot on how Job is probably not a real historical event; rather, it is a story. This has potential to help me argue that they are both allegories. 


Peer: 

  • Lizzy Hughes
  • I recently was visiting with my mission president who lives in the area, and I asked him if he knew if any of the missionaries he served over were English majors. He said he remembered a Sister Hughes that he though probably was (based on her good writing). I Facebook messaged her and introduced myself. It turns out she is an English major at BYU-I and had some really good thoughts.
  • She is an English major and has also studied Shakespeare. She is also a returned missionary and very familiar with the scriptures.
She suggested I focus on how King Lear's losses were due to his own mistakes whereas Job's were not at all his fault. I think that is more of a counterargument than a support to my paper, but I might be able to find a way to work it in. She also said, "I'm a little unsure about the assertion because I agree that King Lear parallels Job in some really interesting ways, but by definition, that doesn't make it an allegory, since allegory means the story has a symbolic message or meaning (like Young Goodman Brown or the allegory of the olive tree). Shakespeare could have written it as an allusion to Job, maybe."

Enthusiast:

  • Dana Culverwell-Solomon 
  • She is a self-proclaimed Shakespeare enthusiast and has written many blog posts on various topics related to Shakespeare, including King Lear. 
  • I commented on her blog and attempted to contact her via email. 
*She has yet to respond.

Expert:

  • Paul Edmonson 
  • He is the author of  Shakespeare: Ideas in Profile and runs the blog bloggingshakespeare.com. I ran across some of his stuff while researching King Lear. I saw he had a Twitter, so I made a Twitter account and attempted to contact him.
  • He lives in Stratford-upon-Avon, England, and is a genius on all things Shakespeare.
*He has yet to respond.

1 comment:

  1. I find it really interesting how you're connecting both of these stories. I wonder if you think that they have the same message? I see Job's message as being to rely on God regardless of the circumstance, but I don't see Lear's that way. I see that message as being more of that of a tragic hero. But maybe it would be interesting to see Job as a tragic hero. It may be worth considering not just the present themes but the overall "moral," if there is one.

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About