Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Abigail's Informal Research for Sonnet 73

Share it Please

Took this picture on the drive to school this morning through Provo Canyon.
I felt that it related to Sonnet 73 because it shows the changing colors of the trees as we move into fall.



Formal: 
“Sonnet 73” by Richard Hovey from the journal College English, Vol. 23, NO. 8 (May 1962), pp. 672-673, published by the National Council of Teachers of English, found on JSTOR at http://www.jstor.org/stable/373787.
Hovey refuted James Schroeter’s critical interpretation of Sonnet 73. The main point that I found helpful was that Shakespeare did not focus on the pleasures of the three metaphors (fall, twilight, and firelight), but rather on the inevitability of “transience, decay, and death” (673). Hovey claims that the true focus of the poem is on the value of enduring love, and by skipping over the tragic elements of the metaphors the reader misses the point of the poem.

Informal: 
Sparknotes was helpful to me because it gives a summary of the content of the poem, as well as critical commentary on the piece. Sparknotes is helpful in coming to a general understanding of the sonnet and can lead the way for deeper analysis.

Media Source:
Image result for sonnet 73
I found this image by searching “Sonnet 73” on google images. Many of the pictures that came up portrayed something about the changing color of the leaves of fall. I liked this image above the rest because it illustrates a specific line in the poem, and it really looks like wind blowing against sparse branches.

Social Source:
I discussed Sonnet 73 with my husband this morning on the way to school. After reading the sonnet, his immediate response was that it had a “wistful” tone and focused on the pleasures of youth in order to convey the speaker’s sadness at approaching old age. I thought this was interesting because when I had read it, I saw more the imagery of the end of each cycle.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your media source. I think that there are so many different interpretations of different sonnets and lines of sonnets. It's interesting to see one portrayed about a single line. I would like to see how you would incorporate that into a paper, or at least the insights that you gained from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your comment about how you saw the sonnet differently after reading it out loud and discussing it with somebody else (ie your husband). I think it's interesting that we don't have to be scholars or really know anything at all about Shakespeare in order to help others understand his work better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your comment about how you saw the sonnet differently after reading it out loud and discussing it with somebody else (ie your husband). I think it's interesting that we don't have to be scholars or really know anything at all about Shakespeare in order to help others understand his work better.

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About