Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Melissa Weigeshoff's Draft Sonnet

Share it Please
Sleepy Sonnet 

I'd like to go to sleep tonight,
But homework won't be put aside.
Until I reach the morning light,
Which wakes my friends and makes me blind.

My eyes are red and full of sleep.
Yet my thoughts race through poetry.
Short stories, essays, they just won't keep. 
No matter how I try to sleep.

If only once the stars came out;
A spell of waveless dreams came round.
I'd stay in bed instead of beg and pout, 
As I get up to that trilling sound.

The irony I often see, 
Is that I feel most awake when I dream.

I was actually really tired writing this as I am trying to catch up on a lot of school work after getting sick, so if you notice any cliques, and/or things that don't make sense please let me know. 


1 comment:

  1. Though I feel like some of this is whiny, I can definitely appreciate the truthfulness behind it. Also, I love the last two lines, because I think they say something much deeper than the rest of the sonnet, and make me wonder about life and dreams.

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About