Tuesday, September 20, 2016

In Defense of Quiet

Share it Please

So oft I’m prodded come “out of your shell”--
that noxious expression which clearly states
introversion must be a form of hell,
a disappointment and second-class trait.
A notion that also fails to proclaim
some animals carry shelter where they
go, and that some humans are just the same.
It does not mean that they have less to say.
Sometimes I will stay in at night, fleeing
aimless chat; I won’t feel distraught.
There is no connection between being
the best talker and having the best thoughts.
We have been given one mouth and two ears
To use proportionally, without fear.

image via

6 comments:

  1. Your phrase "out of your shell," is a phrase that I have heard a lot. I like that you have used it to write your sonnet. This is something I can really relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karee, I like the subject you chose and your humorous denunciation of the belief that being an extrovert is somehow better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm not an expert but I feel like you nailed the iambic pentameter without it sounding too sing-songy with the enjambment. I love the theme as well! Easy to relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I saw the title and the drawing, I knew this was you. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I absolutely love your last two lines. They put something into words that I've never been able to articulate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the last two lines. So true. I love the discussion happening about introversion right now, and I think you painted a beautiful picture of that conflict with your sonnet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About