Monday, September 19, 2016

Isaac's Sonnet: "Rain, Not Dew"

Share it Please

Rain, Not Dew

A drop of water baptized me today,
as I was walking by some campus trees.
What power did they hold within their leaves
to Christen me and send me on my way?
I felt it drip behind my ear--halfway
to soaking in my collared shirt. Oh please
be sign of some great changing cosmic breeze,
reprieve from self-rejecting hate. And may
I find in me again a peaceful mind,
one willing to forgive and to forget.
Lend me the strength that nature has to break
the longing for a life that's past behind.
My hope is simply champing at the bit.
Trees do not have the power to give and take.

4 comments:

  1. You fixed the iambic pentameter! Isaac, I'll say it again. You are the master of form and I bow to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree. Your form is excellent and your content is clever. I also like your use of enjambment; the flow is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful petrarch sonnet! It makes me sad, because the drop wasn't really enough to wash away the turmoil ;(

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About