Monday, September 19, 2016

Fear from Inside

Share it Please
Who doesn’t know the dread of sudden falls,
Of waking up in sweat - brought back to life?
The sense that something lurks behind the walls
Can strike the heart just like a subtle knife.
When do we not lend meaning to each sound
And step that takes us further in the dark?
These simple things can cause our blood to pound,
And leave upon our souls an anxious mark.
Despite the dangers which we pass each day,
There’s little worse than horrors of the mind,
That rise from whispers - leading thoughts astray
To things beyond our reach or things that bind.
It’s strange, that with so much in life to fear,
The worst of terrors rise from twice as near.




4 comments:

  1. Wow! I loved this. The poem was compelling and carried the tone of the subject you were talking about. I loved your volta at the end and how relatable it is. Why did you choose to write a "gothic" sonnet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went through a phase of writing love sonnets after taking British Literary History and I wanted to do something different this time. Fear was the next most powerful subject I could think of.

      Delete
  2. I love your sonnet! The metaphors you employ really embody the fear your sonnet describes. I might try capitalize the words at the beginning of the lines, as Prof. Burton prefers that we leave them uncapitalized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sonnet! The metaphors you employ really embody the fear your sonnet describes. I might try capitalize the words at the beginning of the lines, as Prof. Burton prefers that we leave them uncapitalized.

    ReplyDelete

Blogroll

About